Our Mission Statement
The Christian Education Ministry of Abington Presbyterian Church
exists to make disciples of Jesus Christ by:
- Equipping children, youth and adults with an expanding
knowledge of the Christian faith.
- Providing the church community with the opportunity to explore
what it means to be "Christ in our time".
- Cultivating a desire to reach out, welcome, affirm, and love
every individual as Christ first loved us.
Goals and Objectives
- Children will know and cherish the Bible as the story of God's
relationship with humanity through the Israelites, the prophets,
the parables of Jesus, the writings and journeys of the Apostle
Paul, and much more.
- With their knowledge of the biblical story, youth will be able
to relate and interpret their Christian faith through the bible and
the culture they live in every day fostering a life-long desire to
know God's Word more deeply
- Adults will know and cherish the Biblical story and apply its
teachings to their own lives regardless of their level of previous
Confirm the promises made at baptism
- To raise each child in the Christian faith so that they can one
day declare Jesus Christ as their own Lord and Savior.
Mission and service to others in need to the glory of God
- Summer mission trips expose youth to new environments, new
people, and a new understanding of their place in the world.
- Establish regular mission-oriented opportunities, along with
the Mission Council, for children, youth and adults.
Participation in the worshipping community
- Children and youth will be welcome in the worship service
through regular participation in worship through singing hymns and
choral pieces, a children's message, children's bulletins, and
spending one Sunday per church school rotation in worship.
- Seasonal services will be designed for children and their
families (Christmas Eve, Easter, etc.).
In the Presbyterian Church (USA), education has always been one
of the highest priorities of the church's ministry. The education
ministry at Abington Presbyterian Church is comprehensive with
educational opportunities for children, youth, and adults. The
majority of our educational opportunities occur on Sunday morning,
but others occur at various times during the week.
The education ministry is one of the many responsibilities of
the Session. It is delegated to the Christian Education Council
which has oversight over the entire ministry. Its work is divided
into several sub-committees: Children's Ministry, Child Development
(Abington Presbyterian Nursery School Board of Directors), Youth
Ministry, Adult Education, Library, and various training programs
provided for leadership development.
The church library contains volumes of books and magazines for
all ages as well as DVDs of Sunday morning church services.